IS YOUR SKIN ALLERGIC TO JEWELRY? WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT SKIN ALLERGY DUE TO JEWELRY?

– Who doesn’t like to wear gold ornaments?

It is a matter of excitement when our dear ones gift us precious jewelry in gold. Also, wearing gold is like emotion for many. But, some are so unfortunate that they are allergic to gold. But have you thought about the reason for this? If no, then its time to understand the reason behind gold allergy to the skin.

Who doesn’t like to wear gold ornaments? It is a matter of excitement when our dear ones gift us precious jewelry in gold. Also, wearing gold is like emotion for many. But, some are so unfortunate that they are allergic to gold. But have you thought about the reason for this? If no, then its time to understand the reason behind gold allergy to the skin. But the fact is, only a small percent of the population suffers from skin allergy due to gold ornaments.

I get many patients with skin allergy, of which most of the common cases are of jewelry allergy. Although some are prone to gold allergy, the main culprit behind skin allergy is Nickel. Since pure gold and silver are too soft to make jewelry, the jewelers used to add a small amount of nickel, zinc, and copper to give desired characteristics to the jewelry. And this nickel is causing skin allergy. It is commonly seen in lower grade jewelry.

At first, it will look like a slight discoloration and will later develop into rashes. The skin allergy to nickel is one of the common causes of skin dermatitis. If you find skin rashes after wearing an ornament, consult a dermatologist who will suggest you steroid creams or anti-inflammation medicines. But before it worsens, take some precautions and keep in mind some tips.

If you had a fresh piercing, then make sure that your wound is away from nickel contact. Use stainless steel till the wound clears.

Perspiration is another big factor to increase the chances of infection. When sweat comes in contact with nickel, the skin slowly dissolves it. The compound thus formed will cause skin rashes.

Before taking a bath, make sure you remove your ornaments. This is why because the soap and water wash away the protective oils in your skin making it easy for nickel to have direct contact with skin.

 

Skin rashes due to ornament allergy are common and if you are aware of its causes and preventive measures, then your skin is safe. Do not worry if you have a skin rash, it can be healed soon by a dermatologist.

Leave a reply:

Your email address will not be published.

Site Footer

© 2018 drshibumohammed.com. All Rights Reserved.